Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sankarea - First Impressions


To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the second anime that's featuring zombies this season.



The first episode started out like what I had expected from reading the previews.  Furuya Chihiro is a teenage boy.  He lives at a shrine that his family has always run with his grandfather, dad, little sister, and beloved cat Babu.  Basically, he's your average teenager...except he's weirdly obsessed with zombies, to the point where he'd rather be with a zombie girl than with a living one.  One day, his cat Babu is killed, and Chihiro decides that he's going to try and resurrect his cat as a zombie using an old magical book he found.

Enter in Sanka Rea.  She's the daughter of the principal across the river at an all-girls school.  She's wealthy, privileged, and beautiful...except she can't stand the pressure of a controlling father and lets out steam by yelling into a large hole in the ground.  Chihiro and Rea meet when they bump into each other at the abandoned building that he had been using as grounds to resurrect Babu.

In full disclosure, I'm not a fan of zombies.  I don't like zombie movies.  I don't particularly enjoy the tv show The Walking Dead (although everyone I know seems to love it).  Zombies just really freak me out.  The reason I have no problem with Kore wa Zombie desu ka? is because it's primarily a funny show and doesn't take the zombie thing very seriously (Ayumu may be a zombie, but he doesn't do very many zombie things like eating brains).  Sankarea definitely has a much, much darker vibe to it, and seems to use the traditional zombie character.  However, even though I was semi-creeped out by the entire episode, I'm willing to give it a try since it seems like it'll be a very interesting show and there's a lot of high expectations. But there are no promises that I'm not going to drop it, especially if it creeps me out enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment