Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring 2012 Season Preview

I'm not going to guarantee that I'll watch everything in this preview, but these are the shows that I'm most interested in watching during the spring season



Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead

Aikawa Ayumu is a normal high school boy. One day he is killed by a serial killer and revived as a zombie by a necromancer named Eucliwood Hellscythe. He starts to serve Eu as her guard but he happens to deprive the mahou shoujo Haruna of her magic power. Haruna orders Ayumu to fight against the anti-mahou shoujo system "Megalo" in her place.

While I enjoyed the first season overall, my interest did wane towards the middle of the season.  Let's hope the second season will be as entertaining as the first half of the first season.

Hyouka

Oreki Hotaro is a high school boy, who always acts passively. One day, he enters "Koten Bu" (Classic Literature Club) as recommended by his elder sister.  There he meets Chitanda Eru, Fukube Satoshi, and Ibara Mayaka. They begin to investigate a case that occurred 33 years ago. Hints of the mystery are buried in an old collection of works of the former members of Koten Club. The collection is titled "Hyouka".

It's Kyoto Animation...need I say more?  For the most part, I've enjoyed KyoAni's works (Air, Kanon, Clannad), so I'm looking forward to seeing what this anime entails.

 Sankarea

Furuya's obsessed with zombies. He collects any figurines, watches any movie, and plays any game with the living dead, and is even only interested in zombie girls. When his cat dies, Furuya begins trying to raise it from the dead using an ancient book of the occult he bought from a shop. But what will happen when he sees the idol of a nearby all girl's school walking close to where he conducts his experiment, wishing to die and be reborn as a different person?

A second  anime that is based on zombies?  I'm a bit skeptical, but the artwork is pretty (shallow reason to watch, I know).  This might be one I end up dropping, but who knows?

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

The story takes place in Seikyou Private School. One day first-year middle school student Teiichi Niiya gets lost and by chance arrives at an old storage room. This is where he meets Yuuko Kanoe, a mysterious girl who introduces herself as the ghost of the old school building. For some unexplainable reason Niiya is the only one able to see this spirit and she herself does not have any recollection of the reasons or time of her death, nor any lingering feelings about life itself.

 This seems like an intriguing premise, so I'm definitely excited about watching this show.

Hiiro no Kakera

The protagonist is a teenage girl (Tamaki) who revisits a small village, she remembers from her childhood and gets caught up in her family's history and supernatural dangers surrounding it.

I'll be honest, it's the romance and supernatural/fantasy aspect that drew me to this anime.  The first episode is available on Crunchyroll already, but I haven't had time to watch it just yet.

Accel World

One autumn day in 2046, Haruyuki has an encounter with Kuroyukihime, the prettiest girl in his school. For the middle school boy who is often bullied, the meeting changes his life. Through a mysterious piece of software from her, Haruyuki learns of the existence of the virtual Accel World. In that moment, the lowest of the "school caste" becomes "Burst Linker", a knight defending a princess.

I wasn't originally interested in watching this one, but some of the anime blogs I read mentioned that this might be a show worth watching, so we'll see how it goes!

So let's see...that's six new shows for the Spring, and I'm currently watching two shows that are continuing from the Winter (Aquarian EVOL and Mouretsu Pirates), which brings my show count to eight total.  That's usually how much I start out with, assuming I'll be dropping some shows and/or picking up other ones.  The Winter season is just winding down, so I'll begin posting my final impressions as they end, and I'll begin posting new shows as they start.  I might not blog about every show that I watch, but I'll certainly try to keep up with a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment